CRIME STOPPERS is a citizen-supported program that allows people to report criminal activities anonymously. The Crime Stoppers Coordinator and the Crime Commission Board of Directors determines the amount of awards and ensures payment to those who provide information, and are responsible for raising money to continue their respective programs.
The Tulsa World published a comprehensive look at the success of Crime Stoppers. Click here to view!
How Does Crime Stoppers Work?
1. Call 596-COPS
Anyone with information concerning criminal activity is encouraged to call CRIME STOPPERS number: 596-COPS(2677). When you call with information, you will not be asked your name. You will be given a code number which ensures your identity will remain anonymous. You will be asked to call back after the police have had time to investigate your tip and determine if the information leads to an arrest. You identify yourself only by your code number, and if an arrest is made and charges filed, you may be eligible for a cash reward. Unlike many rewards programs, the CRIME STOPPERS offers cash rewards and anonymity to individuals who provide information about criminal activity which results in an arrest.
2. Web Tip
With computers and web access to all citizens, Tulsa Police have added a web tip to their website. Simply log on to www.tulsapolice.org and click on the Crime Tips icon. The opening page will say, “Online crime tip click here.” Your browser will open a form that you can simply fill out and send. Just as the phone line, the web tip is secure and anonymous.
With more than 300,000 text messages per minute sent daily nationwide and where most active users are teenagers and young adults, Tulsa County residents, and the surrounding counties are encouraged to use this new option to text crime tips. Tipsters remain completely anonymous, and may earn a cash reward of up to $1000 from Crime Stoppers if their information leads to an arrest. Tips are taken 24-hours a day
Text Your Crime Tip
1. Send text to “CRIMES” or “274637″
2. Begin your message with “TIP918″
3. Then type your tip and hit send.
4. When the text is received, the sender will receive a pin number within 10 seconds or less confirming receipt of the information.
5. The tipster will always be instructed to call 9-1-1 if it is an emergency and/or crime in progress they are reporting.
Does Crime Stoppers work?
The CRIME STOPPERS program began in 1979. CRIME STOPPERS tips have been directly responsible for solving hundreds of felony crimes, recovery of millions of dollars in stolen property, and narcotics. Yes, this program works and here are the figures to prove it:
* Since its inception in 1979, over $500,000 has been awarded for information that resulted in solving more than 5,500 felony cases.
* Recovery of stolen property and narcotics totals over $12,000,000.
* Crime Stoppers’ boasts a 85% arrest rate for fugitives featured in its Most Wanted program.